Once the top and bottom frames are done, it is time to move on to the center section. This part consists of 2 sides and 4 corners. And as the setup on the planer is the same for the drawer fronts as for the chest sides, I like to make all four parts at the same time. The steps are the following:
- Cut, joint and plane four 19 l * 3 w * 3/4 h pieces (those are finished dimensions)
- Cut, joint and plane one 14 l * 5 w * 7/8 h in contrasting wood to make the corners.
– Cut a 3/8 in dado (1/2 in depth) in the center of one side of the corner board.
– Cut the corner board in the middle at a 45 degree angle.
– Glue the two pieces to form the corner.
– Use the router table to round the edge of the corner.
– Cut tenons at the end of the side pieces and cut them to the appropriate length. I like a 3/4 – 1 in recess from the edges of the frames.
– Cut the corner piece into four sections of 3 inches in length.
– Glue the corners to the side pieces, clamp and let dry.